Chapel of the Good Shepherd


Chapel Exterior

An Episcopal Chapel
Chautauqua Institution
Clark at Park Avenue
P.O. Box 81
Chautauqua, NY 14722

The Chapel's History

Chapel Exterior

The Chapel was built in 1894. By its 100th anniversary half the foundation had washed away. Layers of varnish obscured the beauty of the altar rail, pews and woodwork. The stained glass windows were cracked.

The Rt. Rev. David C. Bowman, then Bishop of Western New York, appointed the Centennial Celebration Committee of the Episcopal Chapel. Chaired by the Rev. A. Malcolm MacMillan, the group undertook an ambitious fund raising and renovation plan.The committee cleaned up the interior of the chapel, installed plumbing and replaced the chapel's stained glass side windows.

In 1999, the Chapel Trustees, led by their president, Ron Hermance, oversaw the rehabilitation of the Chapel's infrastructure and roof to preserve it for future generations.

In 2006 a columbarium was installed in the oratory to the left of the Altar. Inquiries are invited by contacting the Vicar.

The garden at the front and side of the chapel features many native variety plantings. Cuttings are used to embellish flower arrangements at the Altar.

Donations by visitors, friends, and Chautauqua residents are the only funds that maintain and endow the chapel.